[haiku-development] Re: VLC to drop BeOS port

  • From: "Stephan Assmus" <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 16:35:27 +0200

Hi,

> Compromise for the first alpha could be gcc2 but with both gcc4 libs
> and toolchain included by default!

Absolutely, that's what I would vote for. The GCC 2 build has just had much
more exposure and switching compilers so shortly before release is just
something I wouldn't do. Some problems with GCC4 are already known (for example
Radeon driver), who knows how many more there are? And who is willing to invest
all the needed time and fixes right now? (I know eventually we will have to do
it anyways, but delaying the release is still something I don't want to do.)

But shipping with the GCC4 libs and tool chain included is definitely something
I would welcome very much. It is also very easy to do for us. Except for
providing the Haiku native GCC 4 tool chain, it is virtually no additional work.

Best regards,
-Stephan