[haiku-development] Re: VLC to drop BeOS port

  • From: "Cian Duffy" <myob87@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 00:35:17 +0100

2008/8/13 Jorge Mare <kokitomare@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Howdy,
>
> At the last LinuxWorld, Jean-Baptist Kempf of the VLC project visited
> our booth, and mentioned that they are planning on dropping the BeOS
> platform because it does not have support for C99 which will be a
> requirement for the next version of VLC (I hope I got that right, but
> Urias can correct me if I am wrong).
>
> I don't know the (technical) implications of this new requirement or
> whether it is worthwhile to keep the BeOS port alive or go for a
> "clean" Haiku port (as was mentioned on the Ruby port thread
> recently). I just thought I would make the Haiku developers aware of
> this anyway, since I would assume that we all want VLC on our platform
> in one way or another.
>
> I don't know the details, but I am sure Jean-Baptist could provide
> them in case any of you want to know. You can find his contact
> information here:
>
> http://www.videolan.org/team/
>
> HTH,
>
> Jorge

As the last existing BeOS "maintainer" for VLC - it is significantly
beyond my capabilities to re-port (as this is what is required,
effectively, at this stage) VLC 0.9.x to BeOS.

It needs too many features GCC2 does not support. The threading model
has changed, breaking the BeOS threading support. The network core has
changed, breaking net_server support. The playlist backend has
changed, breaking parts of the BeOS GUI.

The primary problem here - GCC2 - means that it is also basically
unportable to Haiku R1-to-be unless the GCC4 compat libraries are
going to be shipped with the core system...

As goes the recent security fixes for VLC, the 0.8.6* series - these
should be easily compilable with the tools/patches I have at
www.gaelstar.com/beos for 0.8.6c. I will eventually do this myself,
but I don't possess a stable, fast BeOS machine anymore. I/O is
tortuously slow on Zeta for me and my only other working BeOS system
is a 1Ghz laptop with VESA graphics; and I haven't had the day or so
free to get Haiku going as a build platform yet.

Regards

Cian

--
"We're busy running out of time"