[haiku-development] Re: VLC to drop BeOS port

  • From: "Cian Duffy" <myob87@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 08:33:55 +0100

2008/8/14 scott mc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx>:
> On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 12:01 AM, scott mc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> As the last existing BeOS "maintainer" for VLC - it is significantly
>>> beyond my capabilities to re-port (as this is what is required,
>>> effectively, at this stage) VLC 0.9.x to BeOS.
>>>
>>> It needs too many features GCC2 does not support. The threading model
>>> has changed, breaking the BeOS threading support. The network core has
>>> changed, breaking net_server support. The playlist backend has
>>> changed, breaking parts of the BeOS GUI.
>>>
>>> The primary problem here - GCC2 - means that it is also basically
>>> unportable to Haiku R1-to-be unless the GCC4 compat libraries are
>>> going to be shipped with the core system...
>>>
>>> As goes the recent security fixes for VLC, the 0.8.6* series - these
>>> should be easily compilable with the tools/patches I have at
>>> www.gaelstar.com/beos for 0.8.6c. I will eventually do this myself,
>>> but I don't possess a stable, fast BeOS machine anymore. I/O is
>>> tortuously slow on Zeta for me and my only other working BeOS system
>>> is a 1Ghz laptop with VESA graphics; and I haven't had the day or so
>>> free to get Haiku going as a build platform yet.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Cian
>>>
>>> --
>>
>> Thanks for the info Cian.  I've noted this on the HaikuPorts page:
>> http://ports.haiku-files.org/wiki/media-video/vlc/0.8.6i
>> I might give it a try soon, to at least bring it up to 0.8.6i
>> -scottmc
>>

> Well I just gave it a couple hour tryout and after putting in the many
> many dependencies, it errored out.  The port log entry has been
> updated in case anyone has ideas on what to try to do to get past this
> error.
> I filled in the dependencies with binaries from haikuports and tiltos,
> along with the ffmpeg binary from www.gaelstar.com/beos as I wasn't
> able to get ffmpeg to build cleanly yet either.
> -scottmc

Move the psz_cat declaration to the start of the function - this is a
C99 problem in itself, but one thats very easily fixable. If you look
at the line it references there'll be something like "char* psz_cat"
in the middle of a function. Look at the moved declerations for telx.c
in the patch to see how.

Regards

Cian

--