[haiku-development] Re: User interface project

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 23:06:32 +0100

Hi Christof,

just wanted to let you know that I was typing a long reply, but managed to
fuck up my ZETA session. Sorry for the bluntness, but I am not happy. In my
reply, at the end, I came to the conclusion that you should start with a
prototype. This is probably the best I can come up with anyways. If you
look at src/tests/servers/app/newerClipping, you will find the prototype
that lead to the current app_server design. Maybe you could start from
that, but I don't know. Another important point I made, was that you should
think about persistence of window setups. But if you plan to be able to
combine windows of different applications, it will get tricky (who is
responsible?). Anyways, maybe I find some time to reply again in more
detail, or you can elaborate more on your plans. In the app_server, the
classes you will need to touch are Decorator, Window and Desktop (for
general window management). Some of the stuff that is currently handled in
Window should be handled by Decorator instead (certain mouse events). It
will get tricky if you want to handle different window types too (floating,
subset, etc). But for a first prototype, to see if it really could work
out, you can ignore it.

Hope this helps and best regards,
-Stephan