[haiku-development] Re: User interface project

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 09:49:12 +0100 CET

Christof Lutteroth <lutteroth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 1) How difficult would it probably be to implement these two
> functions?
> Is it feasible?

I don't think it'll be too hard.

> 2) What exactly would have to be done? It would be a great help if
> someone could outline this for me, so that we can give the students a
> good start. As far as I can see, the app server needs to be extended
> for
> this.

Since Stephan's longer answer went down the attic (and that happened to
me more than once, too), I felt tempted to give you a short overview:
Even though client side might work, too, I think it would "feel" better
if parts of that functionality (like the ability to change more than
one window at once and to create groups of windows) would be in the
app_server.
Windows can already have subset windows, grouping would be a similar
mechanism, I would guess.
Anyway, currently, the DefaultDecorator class and the Window class work
together (not that cleanly separated) for the current experience. In a
nutshell, Window::MouseDown()/MouseMoved()/MouseUp() calls the
decorator's functions as needed.
The Window class represents the whole window on screen, its Views the
contents of the window, and the (Default)Decorator the frame.
HTH,

Bye,
   Axel.