[haiku-development] Re: User interface project

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 23:51:06 +0100 CET

Christof Lutteroth <lutteroth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am co-supervising a student project at university that
> is about occlusion in user interfaces. The general hypothesis
> is that occlusion (i.e. overlapping windows) is often a bad
> thing if it is not controlled, e.g. through "stacking" with tabs
> (as we know it from Firefox, for example).

I've been thinking myself of a no-occlusion, tiles-only interface, like
squareish soapbubbles (the behaviour, not the look necessarily) filling
an area, some small some large. Each window would be showing a certain
subset of its functionality depending on the size one has given it.
Iconized windows could remain somewhat live. Maximized (but never full-
screen) windows would show as much of their feature set as desired.
Multitouch or dual pointer devices would probably be needed to grow/
shrink windows in a way that feels natural. (I suppose a single mouse
pointer could be supported, if one can enlarge windows like throwing
around pizza dough in circles, forcing the surrounding windows to
shrink and move aside.)

I'm sure there are lots of interesting problems with this approach
though. :)

/Jonas.