[haiku-development] Re: UI Colors

  • From: PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 13:53:52 +0200

> All of them work, as in changing a color in Appearance updates the
> corresponding UI color. The problem is that not many controls make the
> ui_color() calls to change them. My question was (and still is) should I
> tweak the Draw() calls on controls in the Interface Kit to use more of these
> system colors or is there something else that should be done.

Some of them have to be used, but whenver possible, the control itself
should compute a color from another one. For example the "shadow" and
"shine" should be computed from the main color, ensuring a nice look and
feel. The current implementation is already doing it for some colors but it
can be tweaked a little more to give better results.

> I'm not completely sure what the live updates implementation should look
> like, but I remember that was one thing that was my plan _way_ back when I
> actually hacked on the app_server. The main problem is that broadcasting a
> message via the roster would be a cleaner approach, but that doesn't handle
> window tab colors and text. You *could* put together a message to the
> app_server to update those colors and broadcast the message via the roster,
> but that seems kinda messy. Any ideas?

If you want to do everything realtime, you'll also have to handle changing
decorators (for now it's done via the setdecor command. This will also do
things on the app_server side, so the same message could likely be reused ?

--
Adrien Destugues / PulkoMandy
http://pulkomandy.ath.cx