[haiku-development] Re: UI Colors

  • From: DarkWyrm <darkwyrm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 02 May 2010 19:03:44 -0400

Yes I understand that changing the colors works in principle. I just
think there are way too many knobs to turn. Why have a "shine" and
"shadow" color when it's more sensible to be able to define a single
"contrast" setting. And I find many other colors options to be over the
top as well. I would really cleanup the list and keep only the essential
options.

As for modifying Draw() methods, pretty much all of them use
BControlLook to do the actual drawing, if you look closer you should see
that the old code is only used when the be_control_look global is NULL.
Thanks for the info. I'll look into it then. :)

I'm not completely sure what the live updates implementation should look
like, but I remember that was one thing that was my plan _way_ back when
I actually hacked on the app_server. The main problem is that
broadcasting a message via the roster would be a cleaner approach, but
that doesn't handle window tab colors and text. You *could* put together
a message to the app_server to update those colors and broadcast the
message via the roster, but that seems kinda messy. Any ideas?

Why would that be messy? You can also post a message to app_server and
have it in turn broadcast to all open windows, which in turn calls a new
hook method in BViews to update to current colors. Default
implementation being to invoke Invalidate().
That's true. I guess I'd just like to avoid mucking around with the app_server whenever possible, given my ability to cause trouble and how much more complicated it's gotten since I last worked on it. ;-) Looks like I'll just have to be extra careful.

--DW