[haiku-development] Re: UI Colors

  • From: DarkWyrm <darkwyrm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 02 May 2010 07:41:22 -0400

IMHO, there are way too many system colors defined. A lot of them should
be computed based on some important main color. That's actually already
the case for stuff like shades and shine colors in pretty much all of
the controls that render through BControlLook. For the time being,
Appearance could be stripped down to the stuff that works. Then someone
could work on live-updates of the interface and only add those colors
that are really necessary. BControlLook also does not compute the color
tints in a smart way, pretty much all the tints work best for the 216
gray. If you change for example to a darker gray, the relative contrast
of the tints changes such that it becomes unpleasant eventually.
All of them work, as in changing a color in Appearance updates the corresponding UI color. The problem is that not many controls make the ui_color() calls to change them. My question was (and still is) should I tweak the Draw() calls on controls in the Interface Kit to use more of these system colors or is there something else that should be done.

I'm not completely sure what the live updates implementation should look like, but I remember that was one thing that was my plan _way_ back when I actually hacked on the app_server. The main problem is that broadcasting a message via the roster would be a cleaner approach, but that doesn't handle window tab colors and text. You *could* put together a message to the app_server to update those colors and broadcast the message via the roster, but that seems kinda messy. Any ideas?

--DW