[haiku-development] Re: UEFI boot loader for Haiku

  • From: François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 18:32:54 +0100

On 19/01/2013 10:43, Fredrik Holmqvist wrote:
> 2013/1/16 François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>:
>> On 16/01/2013 22:23, Axel Dörfler wrote:
>>> I'm not sure if writing a file system driver is the best starting,
>>> point, however, as it's a completely optional that doesn't gain you that
>>> much (you still need some place to put the driver to, I would guess :-)).
>>> Writing the EFI platform bindings however, is something you will need to
>>> do anyway.
>
> Our EFI boot app located on the system partition (FAT) needs to load
> haiku_loader from BFS the way I was thinking. Or are you suggesting
> haiku_loader IS the boot app?
>
> If so, could there be any problem with haiku_loader being in a different ABI?
>
> /Fredrik Holmqvist, TQH

If you can arrange for the current haiku_loader to be called directly
with some new entry point but keep the current linkage and ABI then you
can use it directly.
However I suspect it would need to have a .efi extension anyway right?
In this case you'll probably want to relink it as boot_loader.efi maybe,
as we do for openfirmware.
Does it require a specific ABI like fixed registers?

François.