[haiku-development] Re: Submenu in Applications menu

  • From: Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 21:42:59 +0200

Rene Gollent wrote:
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I'm aware it's the
destination for things like apps and app resources that are to be
shared among all users, data is another story. In the latter case,
nothing stops you from, say, creating a subdirectory somewhere in your
home dir and setting its permissions to be a free-for-all (the
directory traversal bits would allow another user to access that even
if they don't have permissions to otherwise view the contents of your
home), but /boot/common itself most definitely won't be.

Let me just point out, however, that I'd very much appreciate not having to deal with permissions at all. Just establish a default free-for-all folder at installation time, for example /boot/shared/ where I can share data with other users. Power-users will still have the ability to set permissions on other folders if they so desire, of course. This discussion is a bit premature,though, let's come back to it after R1 when multi-user is to come upon us...

Regards,
Humdinger

Deutsche Haiku News @ http://www.haiku-gazette.de