[haiku-development] StyledEdit status line: #3655 vs hrev30006. Let's decide.

  • From: Siarzhuk Zharski <zharik@xxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 11:26:02 +0100

Dear colleagues,

year ago, during mentoring GCI 2011, I had productive experience with publishing some Trac tickets as tasks for students. So they do some good work on fixing Mail, Terminal applications and setmime, writembr command-line tools. This time I have started with looking on the list of StyledEdit problems. Some of tickets are already offered as tasks for GCI 2012 other are still waiting.

There are also tickets that are not clear. The one of them is "[StyledEdit] column number add" http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/3655 related to the status line support, that was removed in hrev30006. From the one side the status line was removed as "not useful", from the other the ticket #3655 is not closed as invalid. There are also some comments in the Trac from the people who miss it. Looks like we have no unanimity in this point.

My personal opinion is: having only the current line/position counters in the status line is neither so useful nor aesthetically pleasant. But loading it with more info like current encoding, count of lines etc. will give this application more professional and mature look.

So, please share your opinions. Are we need more informative version of status line in StyledEdit or should just close #3655 as invalid?

Thank you for attention!

--
Kind Regards,
   S.Zharski