[haiku-development] Re: Stepping through net_server

  • From: "Ingo Weinhold" <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 19:47:19 +0200

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 19:02:25 +0200
> Von: "Colin Günther" <coling@xxxxxx>

> Axel Dörfler schrieb:
> > When debugging userland apps, you can only debug its userland part, btw
> > - GDB cannot follow you into the kernel.
> Is there a way to step through the kernel anyway? Possibly by means of
> the serial debug interface?

We do have very rudimentary gdb serial debug support in the kernel, so
attaching a gdb via serial connection works in principle, but stepping,
breakpoints, and other stuff doesn't work yet. Besides, when I last tested it,
gdb (under Linux) hung trying to load a gcc 2 Haiku kernel, which kind of
spoiled my motivation to extend the support. Later I found out that the gcc 4
kernel is loaded fine, though, so it might be worthwhile to pursue that
eventually.

CU, Ingo