[haiku-development] Re: Stepping through net_server

  • From: Colin Günther <coling@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 13:21:19 +0200

Axel Dörfler schrieb:
Colin Günther <coling@xxxxxx> wrote:
Axel Dörfler schrieb:
Does stepping work at all, ie. do you see any source, and reach main()?
Yes, I can step through the main function, completely. But gdb doesn't "dive" into inherited Sources as described above (I guess this has something todo with libbe.so?) neither into the call to server.Run().

But you should see assembly code at least in this case, right?
No Assembly code is shown.
Have you tried using the "directory" command to make gdb find the sources you need?
I will try this. As of now I start gdb with HAIKU_TOP as current directory. I'll report back how this works out.
BTW why would you want to do that, anyway? What are you trying to understand this way?
I'll try to understand the interaction between net_server, libnetwork.so and the ethernet drivers. Till now I used my brain debugger , but there are limits to it ;-) For example figuring out which function gets called here: descriptor->ops->fd_ioctl() (kernel/fs/fd.cpp: fd_ioctl()) . It's possible (I done it several times) and it is quite time consuming.
Bye,
   Axel.

- colin