[haiku-development] Re: Some useful haiku projects

  • From: Cian Duffy <myob87@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 17:22:01 +0000

2009/11/2 Pier Luigi Fiorini <pierluigi.fiorini@xxxxxxxxx>:

>> Project 6:
>> VLC porting to Haiku. (I am not sure but, I think there is a Beos
>> version, so it should b e that big a deal)
>
> VLC porting is not supported.
> Haiku has a simple media player with a simple user interface just like VLC.
> The natiuve Haiku MP needs, in my opinion, DVD and streaming features.
> Well a DVD player would probably be better in a separate and dedicated
> application.

VLC >.9x is not realistically going to run on Haiku for quite some
time - it may be easier to wait till the QT port stabilises/matures
rather than trying to get the BeOS GUI going again. Particularly when
you consider that it was atrophying away for many versions towards the
end as-is.

There is an issue as goes DVD playback in that, as far as I'm aware,
libdvdcss doesn't actually work on Haiku - so DVDs don't even play in
the Haiku builds of VLC I've produced in the past (and which used to
be in the pre-alpha images before the massive lift on what codecs the
media kit had)

With a working libdvdcss it should be possible to do DVD playback via
the media kit I'd suspect - create the DVD as a source node.

Cian