[haiku-development] Re: Some suggestion/idea

  • From: John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 15:14:44 -0500

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 2:35 PM, Dancsó Róbert
<dancso.robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have some suggestion/idea for the default Haiku settings.
>
> Tracker:
> - Single window navigation
> - Show navigator

Not gonna happen, too politically violtile.

> - List folders first
> - Enable type-ahead filtering

These two sounds fine to me, but, I don't know what other's
preferences are, any takers?

> Deskbar:
> - Tracker always first
> - Show application expander
> - Expand new applications

The default Deskbar options are fine as they are now, Tracker always
first is a bit confusing because Tracker opens first so it
traditionally is first, but, if you sort your apps or Tracker crashes
then this comes into play.

The other 2 options are better as options that are not enabled by
default, some people might prefer the more compact Deskbar provided by
Show application expander, others not, and the default setting
produces a more understandable hierarchical layout. Expand new
applications is really a preference but I think is fine off by default
as it is now.

> MediaPlayer:
> - Multiple launch

MediaPlayer isn't a multi-launch app now? I don't really know what
this means in the context of of MediaPlayer so I cannot comment
further. You can open multiple audio or video files and it opens
multiple windows, what's the problem?

> And I have some GUI "idea" too:
> - Use the same "arrow" style for the BColumnListView and the menu (to
> indicate if it has items) as used in the Deskbar's application expander

I've replaced Be style arrows with Haiku style arrows in a couple of
places already, (Find panel, BOutlineListView) this is just another
place where it could be done. I'm not against the idea yet I imagine
others might have a strong preference here. I'm not going to lose any
sleep over this arrow either way.

> - Masked BTextControl for passwords (maybe there is already, but I did
> not found it)

I'm looking at the password box in screensaver and it's got:

fPasswordControl->TextView()->HideTyping(true);

where fPasswordControl is just a regular BTextControl, so I think
we're all set here already.

> - Url BTextControl for urls (if the Text() is an url than the Label()
> should be display/work as a link) (maybe there is already, but I did
> not found it)

We've got a HyperTextView in AboutSystem that could be exported into
shared and made private for now if we'd like to use it other places in
the system. Making something like this a new IK class would involve
adding padding for FBC so would need some political weight behind it
to get done, you're better off just copying the class into your own
project if you need it for now.

An additional place I could see this being useful is in BAboutWindow
to display a URL for to your app.

I believe Haiku Depot is doing also doing something with URLs, so, if
we've got 3 apps all displaying URLs it would make sense to integrate
the classes as a part of IK, at least put the code in shared and make
it private for now so that the same classes can be used internally by
Haiku apps.