[haiku-development] Re: Some questions

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 18:52:15 +0200 CEST

"Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 9:57 AM, Fredrik Modéen <fredrik@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >  So what was the verdict of my svn access? Was there a decision? :)
> As far as I know you were approved. What is your berlios.de username?

I actually thought we would be waiting on the Joystick app code, but
I'm fine with that, too.

> >  How would new code into Haiku be handled? I have the source code
> > for
> >  PCI-gameport driver  (http://www.bebits.com/app/2017) and the
> > author
> >  Alexander Coers gave me his blessing.  I have change it so it will
> > fit in
> >  with Haiku source code rules, but where and how should I send it?
> > As a
> >  zip, as a patch? If a patch where would things like this be
> > located in the
> >  source?
> I would suggest waiting until you have svn access, then commit it
> yourself. As for location, it should go somewhere in the driver
> hierarchy (under src/add-ons/kernel/drivers/). Just be sure to fix
> the
> code to match our guidelines.

I'm not sure where to put it either. I guess this refers to the
Gameport that is usually found on Soundcards? Because there is at least
a /dev/audio/game directory that this driver will probably have to
publish.
In any case, it should reflect what devices it exports. If it puts its
devices under "/dev/audio", it should be in the drivers/audio/ sub-
directory.

> >  With Joystick pref app I have some problem that I don't know how
> > to best
> >  handle. I need a good way to look on a file and determent if the
> > file is a
> >  file or a link to a file. If it's a link I need to get the name of
> > the
> >  file where it's linked to.
> Something like this (warning, untested code, missing a lot of error
> checks!)
>
> BPath path("/the/path/in/question");
> BEntry entry(path.Path());

You would need to use "BEntry entry(path.Path(), false)" - or else the
symlink is already resolved.
The BeBook is still a good resource for this kind of stuff.

Bye,
   Axel.