[haiku-development] Re: Software Patents and Haiku

  • From: Jonathan Schleifer <js-haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2014 00:40:23 +0100

Am 02.01.2014 um 21:14 schrieb Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Am 31/12/2013 12:17, schrieb Jonathan Schleifer:
>> There's a solution to that: Move Haiku Inc. to the EU, problem solved. We
>> don't have software patents here ;). Software patents is mostly a US-problem.
>
> There is no need to do that: Haiku Inc. merely holds the trademarks. It does
> not own the software.
> If we do a release hosted on US servers, and targeted at US consumers, the
> patents apply, but for the rest of the world, most don't.

Great, then hosting it in Germany would solve all problems, as in Germany,
there are no software patent, which a recent court ruling verified again
(patents can only apply to products incorporating software (this is why e.g.
Apple and Samsung can sue each other), but not to pure software).

--
Jonathan