[haiku-development] Software Patents and Haiku

  • From: waddlesplash <ajcsweb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 19:30:51 -0500

Apparently, Haiku is not a unified whole on this. Some stuff that is patented (subpixel font hinting) is disabled, but other patented stuff (MP4/MP3 codecs) is left enabled. Basically, Haiku has two options here:

1. "all" -- leave MP4/MP3 codecs enabled, and enable subpixel hinting (well, why not if we're going to leave the MP4/MP3 codecs in? Lots of Linux distros do this.) 2. "nothing" -- disable MP4/MP3, leave subpixel hinting disabled. MP4 probably won't be missed, but MP3 surely will. And sadly, there is a patent-free MP4 codec (OpenH264) now, but this does nothing to help the MP3 problem.

I personally say "all", as nearly all Linux distros go that route (Ubuntu got a MP3 license, but not an MP4 or subpixel hinting one AFAIK, and I don't see why we should waste valuable funds on patent licenses). But I'm not a lawyer :P

-waddlesplash