[haiku-development] Re: Small idea for music / sounds in Haiku - Virtual (void)

  • From: kallisti5 <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 20:08:19 -0500

On 2012-09-10 4:02 pm, Joseph Prostko wrote:
On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 11:09 AM, kallisti5 <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I was browsing the interwebs, and noticed that there was a nice little song
with the BeOS demo video floating around.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4A0Lc6DI7A

Some more research turned up the full song here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpgLFEHrWSA

Ah yes, virtual (void).  :)

Yup.  I tracked down Baron's Google+ account and reached out to him
via email.

Also, thanks for the great links!

I'll keep everyone posted on his response.

I just got approval from Baron! He wasn't sure how to go about licensing it, so
I mentioned doing Creative Commons in an MIT compatible way.

I told him to email haiku-inc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, contact@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, and myself with a quick message along the lines of "I am licensing the virtual (void) song which was distributed with the BeOS as (CC license chosen) so Haiku can use it."

Now, lets discuss how we could use it :)

Originally this song appeared in /boot/optional/sounds/virtual (void) on BeOS, it may be a nice nod to include it in the same location on Haiku and convert it to ogg to
reduce the space.

Thoughts? I know there is a demo optional package, we could put it into this package
and only add it on "release" versions of Haiku.

 -- Alex

Does anyone have the original wav and or tracks ?

I've had several people send me copies... I think i'm going to pull the song off the
BeOS cd though... nostalgia and all :)

I'm still waiting for the final approval from Baron. Once that email comes in i'll pull
the song and convert it to ogg.

 -- Alex