[haiku-development] Re: Shortcut handling of shortcuts with shifted keys

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2012 20:48:19 +0200

On 02.08.2012 15:55, Ryan Leavengood wrote:
The issue of Cmd-+ (as one example) not working as a shortcut in Haiku
(and probably BeOS) when using the US or UK keymap has been around a
while. There are several issus related to this, but the one were I've
put some (detailed) comments is here:

I think it's even worse: there can be two sorts of shortcuts - one where the location on the keyboard is important (for example even basic things like cut, copy & paste), and one where the character is important (zoom). There might even be inbetween cases :-)

So I guess we also need a way to differentiate those cases.

Also, if you make AddShortcut() smarter, and let it check the keymap, you also don't want to see "shift-=" in the UI or "alt-gr-7" (for '{' with a German keymap), but "+" respectively "{".

It only gets funny if you want the shortcut to be shift-+ :-)

Anyway, I think the correct solution for a start (neglecting the exact positioning which would require an API change) would be to let the shortcut mechanism check the character first, filter out the modifiers that are needed to create that character -- and then check if there is a shortcut for it.

Bye,
   Axel.