[haiku-development] Re: Sample Code for non-BeOS dev

  • From: "Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 18:10:20 -0400

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 5:35 PM, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  I disagree a bit with those other posts: our repository is a perfect
>  source for most things. We only need some docs that point you in the
>  right direction, and eventually some code for smaller things, where the
>  thing you're actually interested in is hidden too much.

I do not think it should be a requirement of Haiku application
developers to have all the Haiku code and have to reference it when
developing for Haiku. Right now since the group of Haiku application
developers and Haiku OS developers is the same, it isn't an issue. And
I will admit having the code to reference is useful. But at some point
we probably want to attract new developers to the platform who may not
have an interest in developing the OS itself. Therefore good sample
code and good documentation are important for those people.

In fact even with the Haiku code available to me, I find myself
referencing the Be Book more when developing applications.

>  In any case, most of the old BeOS sample code has probably no use
>  anymore.

Maybe, I intend to look through it and find out.

I am curious what you do when you are developing a new application for
Haiku. Do you just type all the boiler-plate code from memory, or do
you copy another application and work from that? I think some sample
code or at least some templates for various projects (applications,
command-line programs, screensavers, input_filters, etc.) would be
very useful and would speed up development. I would challenge you to
find a popular development platform that DOES NOT have these things.

Ryan