[haiku-development] Re: SAMBA port [was (no subject)]

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 16:42:27 +0200

On 2007-09-04 at 03:24:17 [+0200], André Braga <meianoite@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 9/3/07, Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki) <koki@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Stephan Assmus wrote:
> > > http://joomla.iscomputeron.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1023&Itemid=2>
> > >
> > > These are some great news! Thanks to anyone involved!
> > >
> > > How feasible is it to include the SAMBA port in the Haiku tree? Are
> > > there
> > > any objections, comments? Gerasim (alias 3dEyes**) has SVN write
> > > access, if
> > > the feedback here is positive, I am hoping that this email could
> > > initiate
> > > the inclusion of his SAMBA port in Haiku, along with any necessary
> > > settings
> > > files and so on, ready for use on the image.
> >
> > FWIW, +1.
>
> Actually, -1, IMHO. Or 0.
>
> Rationale: Samba isn't small at all. While I'd love to see Samba
> BINARIES in the default distribution, I'd rather have some build-time
> option to check out the Samba tree and include it in the build
> process, instead of doing it by default.
>
> 3dEyes**'s porting efforts should be merged into Samba's SVN proper
> and our port should be maintained there. You know, the difference
> between porting and portforking (just coined this one :)).

I fully agree.

> Or maybe we could let it live parallel to the main tree, just like the
> build tools, and somehow instruct it to place the binaries in a place
> that the jam scripts can look for when building the images.

Yeah, I was also thinking about a "ports" module alongside "haiku" and
"buildtools", but it's probably better to have ports hosted on another site
(e.g. http://tools.assembla.com/BePorts/). Our repository is rather big
already (it exceeds BerliOS limit quite a bit) and while I like to see the
progress of Haiku related projects, particularly maintaining ports would
produce quite a bit of additional traffic on commit list, at least when
sync'ing with the vendor versions happens regularly.

CU, Ingo