[haiku-development] Re: Right-to-Left text and BiDi

  • From: pulkomandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 18:52:07 +0200

> The screenshot of the Nagaina program at
> http://dev.haiku-os.org/attachment/ticket/6950/screenshot1.png shows
> GOOD rendering of Arabic! Of course, it uses Qt, not the native GUI
> toolkit. But what matters most is that it works, and I would be
> happy with Qt too.

Qt is not part of Haiku, but you can install it and it will work like on
other platforms. The Qt port is still a bit experimental and may crash
sometimes, but seems to work well enough for some poeple to use it.

> Also, what programming languages in Haiku already have (working) Qt
> bindings?

In Qt, as in Haiku, the preferred language is C++. There might be others
choices for Qt, but I don't recommend them.

> @pulkomandy: does the Qt-based Nagaina text engine support
> bidirectionality, i.e. RTL and LTR text on the *same* line? (The
> screenshot only shows Arabic text)

I don't know, Qt does not use the OS support in any way and does its own
thing.

--
Adrien.