[haiku-development] Re: Right-to-Left text and BiDi

  • From: zalit@xxxxxxx
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 18:30:01 +0200

On 2012-07-29 18:08, X512 wrote:
On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 16:26:17 +0200, zalit@xxxxxxx wrote:
Hello

I would like to know from Haiku developers if the the native GUI
toolkit
in Haiku supports:

1) Right-to-Left languages

2) Bidirectional text (that is, Left-to-Right and Right-to-Left
strings
on the *same* line)

Thanks

Zaffer
Currently Haiku support only left-to-right, top-to-bottom text layout
only, but there are some APIs for right-to-left support. Qt support all
this features [1].

P.S. In case these features are not supported, when can we hope to
see
them implemented in Haiku?
I don't think that right-to-left text layout support is priority for
now. You can try to implement it yourself and submit patches. Also it
will be nice to support vertical text layout for chinese and japanese
languages :)

[1] http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/6950

Thanks for the replies.

The screenshot of the Nagaina program at http://dev.haiku-os.org/attachment/ticket/6950/screenshot1.png shows GOOD rendering of Arabic! Of course, it uses Qt, not the native GUI toolkit. But what matters most is that it works, and I would be happy with Qt too.

This leads to the crucial question: is the Qt port for Haiku good enough to be used for production? (at least as far as text rendering and editing is concerned)

Also, what programming languages in Haiku already have (working) Qt bindings?

@pulkomandy: does the Qt-based Nagaina text engine support bidirectionality, i.e. RTL and LTR text on the *same* line? (The screenshot only shows Arabic text)

Thanks