[haiku-development] Re: RFC: Goin' all crazy on NetworkSetupProfiles

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 15:02:09 +0100

Clemens <clemens.zeidler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> that would indeed be cool but I think this should go into a
> separate profile. For example, you should be able to publish/
> unpublish your shares at any location independent how you are
> connected to the internet.

I'm not saying network profiles should be the one and only
mechanism to turn related things on/off.

One could have some kind of service profiles, unrelated to network
profiles, but which network profiles could optionally use.

(Thinking very loosely of runlevels or init states
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runlevel
http://www.princeton.edu/~unix/Solaris/troubleshoot/initstate.html )

Speaking for me personally, I want to be in control, be able to
turn things on/off at will, have a quick means to see what state
the system is in, but I don't want to be left with always having
to enable/disable things manually. I would like to be able to
set up the system to manage some things for me.

> >> But selecting a group does not help if you like to connect
> >> to a special connection within a group.
> >
> > If a profile doesn't specify a certain network and has no
> > autoconnect policy, it becomes a two step process. In a wifi
> > context, I suppose a profile can either specify a certain
> > network, a filtered subset of the available networks, or
> > leave the choice open.
>
> for me this is a unnecessary step. For the wifi case a filtered
> list of known wlan's should be provided. This list should be
> disjunct for different profiles in most cases anyway. Thus no
> need to switch the profile manually...

If you only use wifi there would be no need for more than one
profile, and you would never have to select anything other than
which networks to connect/disconnect.

I just find profiles a good idea, to bundle up connections,
services and protocols. It's not unthinkable to have networks
with protocols other than IPv4 and IPv6, and none of those two.

/Jonas.