[haiku-development] Re: RFC: Goin' all crazy on NetworkSetup Profiles

  • From: Alexander von Gluck <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 09:07:56 -0600

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 18:14:24 +1300
Clemens <clemens.zeidler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 07:03:43 +1300, Alexander von Gluck
> <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > After much discussion in irc there seemed to be a general consensus
> > that applying network settings in the Interface configuration, then
> > having the interface showing the new address, then having to click
> > "Apply" in the main window to *really* apply the configuration
> > changes to the interfaces was a little confusing and tedious.. I
> > tend to agree.
> >
> > see http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5560191/netpref-wifi.png .. to save new
> > settings you click "Save", the window disappears and the interface
> > information updates.. then you click "Apply" to *really* change the
> > interface settings.
> >
> > My solution to this is to remove the profiles and overall
> > revert/apply buttons, this makes things:
> >
> > * easier to program
> > * easier to understand
> > * more clear to the end user
>
> +1 to remove how it works currently . Please take a look how it works
> in KDE. Profiles are replaced by a list of previous connections.
> Using this approach, I never thought about profiles at all and it
> just works as expected. If you connect to a new wifi spot the
> connection is stored in a list and you can choose if you want to
> connect to it automatically next time. For example, I just entered
> the password for a new wifi spot and got a new connection (profile)
> for this spot, done!

This is my thought on it.. Gnome doesn't ship with profiles either and
I've never even thought about using them.  (and I have a laptop I use
between several networks)

> Just start from the available devices to create a connection. These
> connections should be stored automatically so they can be selected
> manually if needed. A connection can be edit or removed.

This is what I was going for, it also fits into a GUI very easily. In
the future we can add a button to add/edit/delete virtual interfaces
and enable/disable them at will.

> If you have a special static ethernet connection at home name the
> connection "home (eth)" and you have your profile! Very elegant and
> easy to understand IMHO :-)

+1, thats' a good thought.

Think about it like this, for those who are forced use Windows 7... when
you connect to a new network it makes a profile... how many of you
*actually* use that? Most of the people just click one of the random
choices and have a stack of "Home Network 1-9", "Public network 1" from
that one time you connected at the coffee shop, etc.

--Alex