[haiku-development] Re: RFC: Goin' all crazy on NetworkSetupProfiles

  • From: Clemens <clemens.zeidler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 23:56:34 +1300

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 21:01:57 +1300, Jonas Sundström <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Clemens <clemens.zeidler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 19:46:55 +1300,
Donn Cave <donn@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So "connection" is semantically similar to "profile",
> except that it configures only one device?

its not the same but you can say that a connection is a
profile for exactly one use-case and nothing else. It
could also be a connection to a vpn which is not device
specific (and not location specific neither!).

For me a profile is a group of multiple connections.

Profiles can be more than connections. Like services,
(file shares that should be off when out on town),
extra paranoid firewall settings, postponed backup to
network shares, and so on.

that would indeed be cool but I think this should go into a separate profile. For example, you should be able to publish/unpublish your shares at any location independent how you are connected to the internet.

But selecting a group does not help if you like to connect
to a special connection within a group.

If a profile doesn't specify a certain network and has no
autoconnect policy, it becomes a two step process. In a wifi
context, I suppose a profile can either specify a certain
network, a filtered subset of the available networks, or
leave the choice open.

for me this is a unnecessary step. For the wifi case a filtered list of known wlan's should be provided. This list should be disjunct for different profiles in most cases anyway. Thus no need to switch the profile manually...

Regards,
        Clemens