[haiku-development] Question about BELIBRARIES and LIBRARY_PATH

  • From: Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2013 15:39:32 +0200

Hi there,

since Ingo and me are restructuring quite a bit on the PM-branch anyway, I
wondered if we should take the opportunity to rename the environment
variables BELIBRARIES (link-time library search paths) and LIBRARY_PATH
(runtime library search paths) to be more aligned with the "standard" way:

        LIBRARY_PATH -> LD_LIBRARY_PATH
        BELIBRARIES -> LIBRARY_PATH

i.e. after that change, the link-time library search paths are defined by
LIBRARY_PATH and the runtime library search paths are defined by
LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

One (assumed) advantage of this change would be that any ports that have
specific expectations about the name of these variables will simply work
without any adjustments. However, we haven't yet come across any such
ports, the ones that we know of that are using those env-vars (e.g. perl)
have support for configuring their name, too.

A possible disadvantage of this change would be that it could prove to be a
problem with respect to binary compatibility with BeOS R5, i.e. there might
be R5-programs out there that rely on these variables (more likely
LIBRARY_PATH).

cheers,
        Oliver