[haiku-development] Re: Question about BELIBRARIES and LIBRARY_PATH

  • From: pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2013 17:59:10 +0200

On 2013-06-05 at 15:53:07 [+0200], Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Am 05/06/2013 15:39, schrieb Oliver Tappe:
> > since Ingo and me are restructuring quite a bit on the PM-branch anyway, I
> > wondered if we should take the opportunity to rename the environment
> > variables BELIBRARIES (link-time library search paths) and LIBRARY_PATH
> > (runtime library search paths) to be more aligned with the "standard" way:
> >
> >     LIBRARY_PATH -> LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> >     BELIBRARIES -> LIBRARY_PATH
>
> How much work would it be to change it back if we encounter any problems?
> Another solution in that case would be to make this part of the ABI
> detection.
> In any case, I wouldn't mind the change; BELIBRARIES is even misleading,
> and has always been.

LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not much less misleading. A lot of people think it goes
with the command line tool "ld", while that actually uses the other one.

Also, it is not actually a standard (I found no mention of it in POSIX). It's
just very widely used (like alloca() and a few other things).

That being said, I very rarely mess with these variables, so I don't really
care how they are named.

--
Adrien.