[haiku-development] Re: Q: Where does Background store its settings?

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 21:53:59 +0200

On 2009-04-09 at 21:51:25 [+0200], Marcus Jacob <rossi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> On 07.04.2009, at 20:09, "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm experiencing something strange here. Just did a "clean install",
> >> i.e. I deleted everything including /boot/home/config, leaving only my
> >> actual data (/boot/home with the aforementioned exception).
> >>
> >> My expectation is to have a clean and virgin system, but my background
> >> image survived.
> >>
> >> Now my question, where does Backgrounds store its settings? Shouldn't
> >> they also be in config/settings and thus be gone?
> >>

> > It's stored as attributes to ~/Desktop which is usually hidden from ~/
> > in Tracker.
>
> Makes sense, but is surely confusing, all other settings are stored as
> regular files or attributes within config/settings.

It is only confusing at first sight. Tracker supports setting a background
image on *any* folder. When implementing this as meta data on the actual
folders, that info can never go out of sync. So even if Tracker is not
running, and you mv a folder in Terminal, a background image would still be
linked with that folder. Now add to this that the Desktop is just another
folder, and everything makes sense. :-D

Best regards,
-Stephan