[haiku-development] Re: Proposal: Remove device manager

  • From: <philippe.houdoin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 16:56:06 +0100

Axel wrote:
> Marcus Overhagen <marcusoverhagen@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I think we should remove the current pnp device manager from Haiku.
>>
>> It is unnecessary complicated and stalls the entire
>> kernel driver development process.
>
> I don't think so. The only place where it may have the potential to
> stall anything is SCSI/IDE related - because you currently need to use
> it when doing a driver in there.
> Parts of the new driver system are definitely usable (the node device
> tree for example), and are IMO worth to be kept. I still think that we
> can solve the existing problems by redesigning what we have now instead
> of throwing that away for nothing. We just have to sit down and do it -
> for example, we could do that on BeGeistert.

PNP Device Manager seems not simple for the most simple needs. While its
features could justify it, they should offset the added complexity in a very
visible way.
And so far, having a very good visibility on these features is hard to get, as
its API is not as self-explaining as the R5 drivers API is, and we miss
documentation and simple sample-code.

The node device tree may be a valuable addition, but I fail to see what it
does, how it does it and why it's that useful (I though devfs was handling it
already for us...). Maybe I'm alone here, but maybe not.

I dunno if Haiku should drop it or not, but if not Haiku should *document* it.

Philippe.