[haiku-development] Proposal: Remove device manager

  • From: Marcus Overhagen <marcusoverhagen@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 12:06:13 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

I think we should remove the current pnp device manager from Haiku.

It is unnecessary complicated and stalls the entire
kernel driver development process.

IO ressource reservation by device drivers is completely useless,
except for the purpose of multiple drivers supporting the same
device, when the device manager will detected the collision and
allow only one driver. This can be handled by allowing only one
driver per device.

The only case not covered by this is the ISA IDE driver, but
we can surely find another solution for it to not conflict with
the PCI IDE driver.

The way that drivers need to load their own parents is completely
broken, and makes passing data from for example controller driver
to it channel childs a nightmare.

Proposal:
- basically implement a R5 style device driver handling.

- driver attributes should be removed

- drivers should be able to publish new devices, and
  the kernel should scan available drivers for that
 (like:
  somebody plugged in /dev/usb/0/1/whatever,
  and the kernel should scan drivers/usb to see if there
  is a driver that can handle the device.
  one my be found, that published /dev/disk/foobar,
  and the kernel will scan drivers/disk to find a mathcing one, etc
  This can probably accomplished by adding some notification support)

Comment? Please say something.

regards
Marcus

Viel oder wenig? Schnell oder langsam? Unbegrenzt surfen + telefonieren
ohne Zeit- und Volumenbegrenzung? DAS TOP ANGEBOT FÜR ALLE NEUEINSTEIGER
Jetzt bei Arcor: günstig und schnell mit DSL - das All-Inclusive-Paket
für clevere Doppel-Sparer, nur  29,95 ?  inkl. DSL- und ISDN-Grundgebühr!
http://www.arcor.de/rd/emf-dsl-2