[haiku-development] Re: Proposal: Moving away from Subversion

  • From: Chris Roberts <cpr420@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 04:33:31 -0600

> Niels Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> For bazaar a branch is a completely independent working copy (I am
>> abusing this expression, but this would make it most clear). So you
>> have a checkout (or a clone) of the main branch, and then you want to
>> work on a new feature but in a separate branch, it means you have to
>> make a completely new working copy (so in a different directory).
>> This
>> as opposed to Git or Mercurial where you have named branches that
>> work
>> within one working copy. I have serious doubts that with the
>> repository the size of Haiku's this has a reasonable speed. It would
>> definitely take away the agility of the local development process.
>
> I'm not sure this would be that bad. For the sole reason that you don't
> really have to create/work with dozens of branches. And can't you just
> store your changes, and rebase to a different branch, if wanted?
> Since BFS does not yet support hard links, AFAIU hg on Haiku would have
> the same problem, here.

hg and git will both be affected when using this method of branching.
When doing a full clone of the history and working copy to a separate
directory they can make use of hard links if available.  They both
also offer alternate methods which do not involve creating an entirely
separate copy.

--Chris