[haiku-development] Re: Proposal: Moving away from Subversion

  • From: "Clemens Zeidler" <clemens.zeidler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 10:09:36 +1200

Am 29.06.2010, 09:46 Uhr, schrieb Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Clemens Zeidler wrote:
Am 29.06.2010, 05:50 Uhr, schrieb Alex von Gluck <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
[...]
Someone mentioned Bazaar has unique rev numbers, how does it work?

As that was me, I looked it up. Essentially they are local to a branch (bazaar-speak for a copy of the repo). Mainline commits get single numbers, commits merged from other branches get 3-digit ones (parent-id.branch-no.commit-no).

From http://doc.bazaar.canonical.com/latest/en/user-guide/zen.html#understanding-revision-numbers - assuming two different features were developed in developer branches taken from trunk rev 100:

102: Merge feature X
      100.2.3: Fix bug
      100.2.2: Add documentation
      100.2.1: Add code and tests
101: Merge feature Y
      100.1.4: Add documentation
      100.1.3: Fix bug found in testing
      100.1.2: Add code
      100.1.1: Add tests
100: ...

Quite nice, but not a huge advantage over hg, where central-repository rev numbers are still going to be meaningful. The biggest advantage of bzr would be the nicer support for centralized-ish workflows (see the bound branches stuff at http://doc.bazaar.canonical.com/migration/en/why-switch-to-bazaar.html#why-is-bazaar-better-exactly) Having said all that, I think the better support of hg/git probably wins that war - but it sounds like the war between fans of those two will run and run...

Simon

cool, thanks for the info! maybe we should take a look at it. Is the support that bad?

        Clemens