[haiku-development] Re: Proposal: Moving away from Subversion

  • From: Chris Roberts <cpr420@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 19:55:02 -0600

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 4:29 PM, Andreas Färber <andreas.faerber@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Am 23.06.2010 um 10:14 schrieb Axel Dörfler:
>
>> For me, git is out of the question, not only because of the revision
>> numbers, but also because of its incredibly bad user interface,
>
> Hm? Anything in particular?
> I find the porcelain's implicit use of less very handy, for instance.

In my experience, the mercurial pager extension works better and is
more flexible than the git counterpart.

> In r37249 you renamed openfirmware/start.c to start.cpp - a welcome move but
> unfortunately I had patches against start.c in local branches. git-rebase
> took a few seconds but figured out that the file was renamed and how to
> apply my local patches to the new file. This would not work with Mercurial's
> qpush (mq) that has been promoted by Niels; the patch file would need to be
> edited manually in such a case.

If the you leave the patches applied, then "hg pull --rebase" should
take care of that and handle the merge better without the need to deal
with qpop/qpush.  I assume there is a method that can be used for
unapplied patches but I don't use mq that often.  Also, mq is only one
option out of many.  You could use separate clones + rebase, named
branches, anonymous branches, bookmark branches, pbranches, etc...

--Chris