[haiku-development] Re: Pre-proposal: Roadmap to Haiku R1 Release

  • From: "Alexander G. M. Smith" <agmsmith@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2020 10:53:24 -0400

Niels Sascha Reedijk wrote on GitHub:
> Q: Why are there no feature requirements that need to be met before releasing R1?
>
> There currently is no consensus on which goals need to be reached in order to release R1. Building a consensus is not easy, and will require a lot of discussion. This proposal instead takes the relative stability of R1/beta2 and the good reception of that release, and based on that argues that the code is in a reasonable good shape to start releasing it as the base platform that third parties can build on.

I'd rather not release something to the general public which will make them unhappy due to bugs or installation awkwardness.  That's what we should keep in mind for R1.

Things like the app_server crash when watching Youtube videos. Though personally, I'd also like Haiku's BFS to be more reliable when running into corrupted disk contents (it crashes abruptly or mangles kernel memory leading to a delayed crash; rarely do you get an error message).  Turns out a lot of our lack of long uptimes was doing backups to a corrupted disk volume; things got better after a reformat :-)

- Alex