[haiku-development] Re: Partition name localization in Bootman

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare/aka Koki" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 13:58:21 -0700

Hi Jonas,

Jonas Sundström wrote on Tue, 16 Mar 2010 20:06:20 +0100
> Jorge G. Mare/aka Koki "Jorge G. Mare/aka Koki" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > This is kind of hackish, though, so what I think would be nice is
> > if
> > Bootman had in this screen a separate label used to display this
> > warning
> > in a more prominent way, and if the "unnamed" labels were simply
> > not
> > localized.
>
> Would a Japanese word equivalent to "Unnamed" transcribed in
> latin-characters be at all acceptable? Would that be better
> than leaving the word untranslated?

As far as a know, any Japanese to that effect would require double-byte
characters, but I will check with the guys on [haiku-i18n-jp] to make
sure.

I have been thinking, though, why do the unnamed partitions have to be
labeled at all?

If a partition does not have a name, the logical way of faithfully
exposing that to the user is by showing no label. Unless I am missing
something, the only time this could be problematic is when the user
attempts to add such an unnamed/unlabeled partition to the boot menu;
then (and only then) the program can prompt the user to give a name to
the partition, as needed.

Cheers,

Jorge / aka Koki