[haiku-development] Re: Package management - folder hierarchy

  • From: "Brecht Machiels" <brecht@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 10:46:23 +0100

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 10:33:45 +0100, Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

how does the th pkg-tree mount point exactly look like? Does every package
has its own directory or do multiple packages could share a directory.

Package-fs mixes the whole lot together, such that all the packages share
a folder tree. Some of the packages will be contained in a single folder
(Haiku applications, for instance, will most likely live in their own folder under pkg-tree/apps), but others (ports) will have their files all over the place under pkg-tree.

E.g. the libs directory is populated by multiple packages. In this case
what happens when there is a file conflict? For example two packages want to install the lib libexample.so in libs.

That's a conflict on package management level, so that situation wouldn't be
caused by the package manager. If the user installs the second package
manually, package-fs would have to (find a way to) put up a warning. I'm not
sure, but I think currently it's first come, first served, i.e. whatever
package is seen first by package-fs will be the one whose files will be
visible.

I'm still thinking it would be good to have each application in its own directory. package-fs would be able to map any dependencies into the application's directory (libraries and binaries). I believe this would make the whole thing more transparent. I know there wasn't much enthusiasm about this though.

--
Brecht