[haiku-development] Re: Package management - folder hierarchy

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 12:19:59 -0500

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 8:07 AM, Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:

> I like 1 much better. Somehow it feels cleaner (i.e. more integrated) to me,
> and in an ideal world, I would like ports to be proper ports, including the
> porting of where settings are located and so on. If a port is done quick and
> dirty, let the struggle for survival take care of it.

I agree.

In addition I was once a fan of the union-fs idea (because well it
sounds pretty cool.) But now that you and François mention it I agree
it does not make sense and is not secure to allow packages (or anyone
else except Haiku) write to the package/application directories. So I
think the approach you have outlined is good.

--
Regards,
Ryan