[haiku-development] Re: Package management - folder hierarchy

  • From: Truls Becken <truls.becken@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 22:11:35 +0100

I think a separate ports directory will be confusing for users because
they will then have to know which "packages" directory each hpkg needs
to be placed in. Also, you're forgetting that a per-user ports
directory would be needed as well. Otherwise these packages can only
be installed system-wide.

Is /boot/apps as a symlink into /boot/common really desirable? What if
that directory is empty and all the useful stuff is in home and
system? Of course, the latter could be fixed by having a hpkg that
symlinks to /boot/system/apps, but I'm not sure that is too nice
either since it sort of breaks the separation.

Somehow, "/boot/common/pkg-tree/bin" doesn't feel quite right. Would
dropping the pkg-tree layer become too messy? It would mean that
actual directories sit next to those from the packages. Would it be
acceptable if a few pre-defined directories are not allowed in
packages and are the only ones that can exist where a package-fs is
mounted?

-Truls