[haiku-development] Re: Out of memory errors when virtual memory disabled

  • From: Rene Gollent <anevilyak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 08:17:55 -0500

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 8:11 AM, Rimas Kudelis <rq@xxxxxx> wrote:
> For one, I really don't think the compiler would request 1GB of memory right
> away, would it? And like I said, I had more than 1GB of free memory at the
> point compilation process was killed.

His point is, that might not be getting correctly reported, ergo you
didn't actually have more than 1GB free at that point despite PC
saying so.

> Second, I assume that once an application asks for a certain amount of
> memory, that memory is "given" to the application and is then being reported
> as used in Haiku's About dialog and process controller. If this assumption

Not necessarily. The app may have requested 500MB and had it reserved,
but it won't show up as allocated until it's used and mapped if I
remember correctly, ergo if you only actually wind up touching 200MB
of it, then that's all you'll see as used memory for the app.
Reporting memory usage is unfortunately in generally not really a cut
and dried procedure since one has to factor in pages that are shared
between processes, pages in various states, etc.

Regards,

Rene