[haiku-development] Out of memory errors when virtual memory disabled

  • From: Rimas Kudelis <rq@xxxxxx>
  • To: Haiku development <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2011 11:53:26 +0200

Hi,

I was getting "out of memory" errors (and sometimes plain crashes) when compiling Haiku on Haiku. Apparently, this was happening because disabled VirtualMemory the other day since I knew that it's unlikely for me to use up all the 1.5 GB I have, and I thought that having that minimal 1MB swap file wouldn't help much if I ever managed to eat up the memory.

This would probably seem OK if not for a little fact: even with a few applications running and Haiku compilation happening in terminal (with VirtualMemory back on), the usage of RAM does not seem to rise above 50% (7xx MB), and at the moment compilation was being killed, the usage of RAM was approximately 33% only (5xx MB). I think there's a bug somewhere in the memory manager. I would say it's way too zealous if it kills an application because of memory hunger while the amount of used memory is still very far below 90% or 95% (I would probably consider killing acceptable at that point).

Should I file this as a bug? If so, what component would it be?

Rimas