[haiku-development] Re: Out of memory errors when virtual memory disabled

  • From: fano il primo <fanoilprimo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2011 10:20:40 +0100

Well you're lucky that Haiku killed the memory hunger process and not a
process choseen casually as it does (or did, maybe now it's better)
Linux... for my work I'd to re-implement all the I/O portion of the posix
library, and to test if it worked; I started to open many files as possible
*never* closing them, let me say to you what I've obtained.... my process
gets all memory possible, OOM Killer stars and kills.......

.... the X server :-)))

Yes all my work was lost... my session, my terminal, my Firefox, my
Thunderbird, my 100s of GVIMs and so on... gone!!!

In the end Haiku it's not a server OS, given "X" process it's using a lot
memory, IMHO, Haiku shall not take initiative BUT it should open a Modal
Dialog saying "Application X is using X% of memory, press Kill to* kill the
offending application* or press Open to open
Memory Manager to kill an other application"; yes that application is *the
core of the System* I should have the chance to kill an other
application to give memory to it, the OS shouldn't kill it without asking
to me, the user!

The same reasoning can be done with an application using all CPU, obviously
:-)