[haiku-development] Re: Newbie programmer, want to help

  • From: Michael Crawford <mdcrawford@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 03:48:09 -0800

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 1:38 PM, Michael Franz <mvfranz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Have you read Andrei Alexandrescu's C++
> books? http://www.amazon.com/Andrei-Alexandrescu/e/B001ILKI7K/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1

I read part of Modern C++ Design.  The reason I didn't complete is was
that my work got very hectic, so I had to set it aside and never took
it up again.  I've been meaning to read the whole thing someday.

I recommend the book highly, but it is very advanced.  If you're just
starting out with C++ you would do well to learn from some other book,
and wait until you're more comfortable with C++ before reading
Alexandrescu's book.

A common problem at the time that Modern C++ Design was first
published was that his code was so complex, it would break C++
compilers that weren't completely standards-compliant.  Some
workarounds were published later.  I expect that is less of a problem,
but for Haiku, I doubt you could get his code to work with the GCC
2.95.3 compiler.

Mike
--
Michael David Crawford