[haiku-development] Re: Newbie programmer, want to help

  • From: scott mc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 07:48:03 -0800

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 7:00 AM, Jonathan Beatty <easyegoism@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have a little bit of experience with programming (mostly Java), and I have
> enough C++ experience to construct simple programs. I can do file I/O,
> pointers, arrays, functions, all the stuff usually taught in online
> tutorials, but I don't have any real world programming experience with it. I
> also have a little bit of experience with Qt, but I don't know how much that
> matters.
> However, I find myself with inordinately large amounts of free time, and I
> want to use them for something that will actually help me learn to program
> better. As for the areas I'd be interested in, I'd like to see MAC spoofing
> implemented in Haiku (and, if directed to the right sources, wouldn't mind
> implementing it myself) because it's the only way I can connect my laptop to
> my home network. Wifi won't work with my card anyway (couldn't get it to
> work in FreeBSD; BCM43xx sucks). Barring that, I guess I could do simple
> applications development if there are any things obviously missing in Haiku.
> However, I do have years of Linux/BSD experience, and if I could be better
> put to use as a tester, let me know.

Once place that could use some more help is over at HaikuPorts, both
for keeping all of the current ports up to date and for working on new
ones:
http://ports.haiku-files.org/

On Haiku's trac intro page you'll find a link to some easy tasks that
might be a good starting point:
http://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki

-scottmc