[haiku-development] Re: Installer (was: Re: BButton colors?)

  • From: Thom Holwerda <slakje@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 23:59:16 +0100
On 5 mrt 2008, at 23:51, Ryan Leavengood wrote:

On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 4:39 PM, Gabriele Biffi <mlist@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I know that, I mean that the user interface part of the installer
requires some brainstorming. The BeOS R5 installer is excessively simple!

You mean it is too simple, in other words the simplicity is a bad
thing? It probably is out of date these days, but in general I would
hope most of us think simplicity is a good thing :)

I think the Ubuntu installer is pretty good, though I wonder if the
time zone selection could just be done the first time they boot the
system ("Welcome to Haiku, please configure the following.")

Personally, I think there's room left in the standard r5 installer to add any possible features we might want.

That being said, I agree with the notion that a lot of things can be configured upon first boot. An installer should do just that - install the darn thing. Configuration makes more sense - to me at least - after (or better yet, during) first boot.

And as a final note - is there a list somewhere of things the r5 installer can't do, but should do (or that could be relegated to first boot)?

Thom