[haiku-development] Re: Installer (was: Re: BButton colors?)

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 01:36:53 +0100 CET

> Thom Holwerda <slakje@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > An installer should do just that - install the darn thing.
> > Configuration makes more sense - to me at least -
> > after (or better yet, during) first boot.
>
> +1

Yes, except maybe for language (for later), it's nice if the installer
already speaks your language, in which case this can be saved to the
target volume.

Then the InstallerRebootScript can start configuration...
It can also just "open /boot/preferences" with an alert eventually to
hint the user at the non mandatory stuff without blocking it.

> > And as a final note - is there a list somewhere of
> > things the r5 installer can't do, but should do (or that
> > could be relegated to first  boot)?
>
> Install guides usually ask you to take a backup. I know I should but
> hardly ever do. Adding an application specifically designed for pre-
> install backup would make sense to me.
>
> Good things come in threes: Installer, Backup, DriveSetup.
>
> It wouldn't have to be full-featured. One could even skip the usual
> picking a set of files off a certain filesystem (which may be
> unsupported), and just do partition and device cloning, partition
> layout and bootsector backup. Perhaps support FTP:ing to another box,
> and of course backing up to  removable media (USB and Firewire
> harddisks, DVD-RW). Some of this can be found in http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/
> > I'm not saying it should be anything like it though.

Actually yeah, it's unusual to have an installer that actually is able
to do a backup.
Thing is mostly the user wanting that will want to do it with a tool he
knows, which we likely can't run.
But being suggested to (s)ftp or whatever and being able to do it would
at least show the concern.

François.