[haiku-development] Re: Including WiFi firmwares in Haiku

  • From: Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 03:13:53 -0500

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 02:36, Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> -- Colin Günther, on Tue, 05 Jan 2010 06:44:19 +0100:
>> Humdinger wrote:
>> > Maybe this script should also be integrated into the Installer to
>> > automatically present users with the right license and have them
>> > acknowledge it before downloading/installing the firmware.
>
>> could you clarify which issue you are trying to tackle?
>> I can only imagine that you have some concerns regarding usability of
>> firmware installation?
>
> Correct. When a user installs from a CD/USB drive, the Installer is the
> right place to present the license and do the firmware
> download/installation. Why gamble that users even open the Welcome page
> and find the passage describing the process, having them sent to
> Terminal etc.

What about when running from a USB drive?
eg, user dd's image to stick and uses that for running/testing Haiku.

If it matters, the script doesn't need to be run in Terminal. It
utilizes `alert` for UI interactions. Also, in the event of download
failure, the user will be notified of the URL and which driver will
not be installed.

--mmadia