[haiku-development] Re: IO scheduler Priority

  • From: "Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 20:34:31 -0500

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 3:26 PM, Fredrik Holmqvist
<fredrik.holmqvist@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2008/11/20 Fredrik Holmqvist <fredrik.holmqvist@xxxxxxxxx>:
>> Why? Are we building a server OS?

Sorry, when I wrote "serving" I was thinking "surfing". So I would
want to be able to limit the bandwidth used for long downloads so that
web SURFING would not be slowed down much. I'm thinking purely from a
desktop OS perspective based on my experience with bandwidth-hogging
downloads.

> To clarify, I just meant a download-server IMO only needs on or off button.

I personally find it useful when using a desktop OS to be able to
limit the bandwidth used for long downloads, especially torrents. I
think it would be more convenient having one place to do all that
instead of having to adjust a torrent client, a FTP program, a web
browser, etc. Of course most browsers don't even have an option to
throttle downloads. Just turning downloads on or off would not be that
useful IMO.

Also in case it is not clear when I say server I mean it in the sense
of app_server, print_server, etc.

I feel that it would be very useful having a download_server that is
separate from web browsers and can handle HTTP, FTP, BitTorrent, and
whatever else through plugins. This would allow restarting browsers
without killing downloads, and provides one place to configure things
like the bandwidth limiting above. To me it seems like the BeOS/Haiku
way, especially if we have multiple browsers which could all make use
of the same download_server. It could be kept very lightweight and
also started on demand by a client API (in other words it could exit
when idle so as not to eat memory uselessly.) Maybe it is less of a
download_server and more of a download_manager.

Regards,
Ryan